My darling Mary. I couldn't resist, I had to start her. I did a custom conversion to overdyed silks, and I'm in love with her. When I first saw the tiny picture on the internet, I was thinking she was done in reds, but really its a combination of reds and lovely rose tones. She's beautiful, and I'd still be stitching her if it weren't for some smalls that I had to get done. Don't ask me why I started in the lower right corner, no idea.
|Mary Gibson stitched on 40 ct HDF cotton/linen blend with|
custom overdyed silk conversion
|Elizabeth Mears on 40 ct LL Pecan Butter,|
with custom silk conversion
|With Thy Needle & Thread Mansion at Fox Hollow,|
stitched on 40 ct linen with assorted silk
I mentioned I'd been having my attention split in a bunch of different directions. Some of it was crafty stuff, and even related to stitching. I did some coffee dyeing! I really wanted some gingham linen to stitch a small freebie on, but couldn't fine the color I wanted didn't want to pay the $110/yd price for the hand-dyed stuff. So, I just bought the regular Graziano ($64/yd was a much better price) and dunked a piece in some fresh brewed black coffee. I didn't leave it in there for long, so the result was pretty subtle, but it works for me.
|28 ct Graziano cream/natural gingham linen,|
coffee dyed (front) and plain (back)
|JBW Pumpkin stitched on 28 ct Sugar Maple Fabrics linen|
with HDF silk, then coffee dyed
The aged black wooden box was supposed to be for my iStitch Mystery SAL piece, but then became a test piece when I realized I was stitching on 35 count fabric and not 40. Two base coats of a dark grey, almost black paint, crackle medium (heavier on the edges), top coat of white paint. At this point I was really disappointed with how it turned out. The white paint was really streaky, and I knew it would just look horrible if I added another coat, because of the crackle glaze I'd done. Fast forward a couple of days, as I was waxing paper mache boxes. I applied a coat of light brown wax, brushed, burnished and buffed, and it looked better, but still not great. Hrmmm, I have that can of black wax I've never been brave enough to use. Wow, it was just what the piece needed. I have to say, I'm really happy how my experimental piece turned out. It also taught me that good finishes are a lot of different layers, and a lot of work goes into each layer.
Thank you to everyone that stops by and takes the time to read my posts, and the an extra thanks to those that leave comments. Its nice to know other people either admire my work, have the same obsessions I do, or are working on the same projects.