Friday, January 13, 2012

Amazing mail day!

This morning was supposed to be hair day.  I haven't had my hair highlighted or cut in over 6 months, so it was way past due.  Well, when you decide to save money and go to a student for a full head of highlights, the morning turned into over 5 hours.  I can home tired, hungry, and just slightly cranky.  All of that went away when I saw the pile of bounty waiting at the front door.  Not to be totally greedy, 2 of the 4 packages were for mom, since its her birthday today.  I'll even let her open them when they get home from the camping trip!

First up was a box from Terri.  Back before Christmas I won a giveaway from her, and the prize was going to be a surprise.  I was definitely surprised.  And amazed.  And wowed, shocked, and almost cried.

For everyone that's having true winter weather, please don't hate me for opening the mail on the back patio, in the sunshine.  I'd actually enjoy a bit of winter and gladly trade places - for about a week!

I started in on the pile-o-pressies by opening the big daddy with the adorable twine.  Jackpot!


An amazing hinged box with a stitched top.  And look at the inside, incredible!


Sorry for the fob being upside down, but its stitched with an M on both sides, and filled with what feels like crushed walnut shells to give it some heft.

Lots and lots of extras were included.  Two different kinds of stitching fabric, two kinds of quilting fabric, some red ribbons for trim, needles, Godiva chocolate, monogrammed tissues!  And OMG, the charts!  Terri had asked me what I liked to stitch, and my response was I had eclectic tastes.  That's exactly what she sent me!  Two different reproduction samplers, an adorable Heart in Hand chart called Red Letter Day (she knew my favorite color is red), and a fantastic Ewe & Eye & Friends chart.  I have a few of the Primitive series by them, but never managed to find Primitive Star!  Totally amazing, she couldn't have picked out better stuff for me.

Next up was a box from Shepherd's Bush.  Hrmm, a box?  I thought all I was getting was an envelope with January Word Play, part 3 of Margaret Cottam, my Eggshell floss for 6 Fat Men, and my Christmas Garden chart.  Well, my friends at the Bush and my EGA chapter surprised me with some gifts.  It was like Christmas all over again, opening up the guild Christmas present and other surprises.

I cried when I opened up the BBD chart and saw a lot of the women had left me a message inside.  I really miss them.  Moving around so much I didn't make a lot of friends, but I made enough in Utah to make up for the lack in previous states.  I really miss the ladies, and its been hard adjusting to not being able to pop over to the Bush whenever I feel like chatting.  Not to mention those spur of the moment Wednesday evening calls inviting me out to dinner, or a place to take all my baked goods whenever I felt the urge to bake.


I've gotten a bit of stitching done this week.  Not as much as I'd hope, since this is supposed to be finished by Sunday.  Not sure if I'll make it.
LHN Poinsttia House, stitched over 1 on 28 ct evenweave,
my conversion to silk floss
Last January my mom had picked this chart out of my stash and put in her "wish list" pile.  Its chart I've always loved, and I came up with the bright idea of stitching it for her this week while she's gone as a birthday gift.  Unfortunately, between hair appointments (mine and grandma's), looking for a gym to join, finalizing my enrollment into my MBA program, Annie, household chores, and a plethora of other stuff, I haven't had as much stitching time as I thought.

Ok, enough time at the computer, Annie is complaining that its late, and we both should have eaten dinner an hour ago.  Thank you for stopping by!

21 comments:

Theresa said...

Wow~~ So many lovely things you got in the mail today~~~

Nicola said...

How wonderful to receive these beautiful gifts. Friendship is always a work of heart.

Lesleyanne said...

Lovely gifts. Great new start.

Siobhán said...

Wow, what a mail haul!! Lucky you! I can't wait to see your Christmas Garden in progress. Love the WIP, too!

Christine said...

Poinsettia House is gorgeous, and all your gifts are wonderful

Shari said...

wow!!!! Everything looks wonderful....I think I would have cried had I had a mail day like that!!! And your stitching looks beautiful! Lovely piece...
and..the big question....are you happy with how your hair turned out after all of that?!?!?!

cucki said...

wowwwwwwwwwwww so many beautiful goodies you received..everything is so lovely..
beautiful new start..
sending you hugs cucki xx

Margaret said...

Ok, that is a good mail day! And good timing after the student hair appointment too! It's so nice that the ladies in Utah are thinking of you. Lovely prize too! Poinsettia House looks great! I'm sure your mom will be just as pleased to see you are working on it for her even if it's not done in time. Happy birthday to her!

Gabi said...

What wonderful gifts. I can see why you're so delighted with them. Love poinsettia house

Sally said...

What wonderful gifts you received Mindi.

Lovely progress on Poinsettia House. Love the colours in this one.

Carol said...

Ooh--such amazing gifts, Mindi!! You deserve each and every one :) Terri's box is incredible!!

I've always meant to stitch Poinsettia House, too--I really should pull it out and give it a go...

Hope you're pleased with your new haircut!! And I'd be happy to send you some of our snow for a week :)

Giovanna said...

What wonderful gifts - good for you. And nice progress on Poinsettia House, it's so pretty.

BrendaS said...

Wow -- Lots of great gifts!

Very nice progress on Poinsettia House -- and over 1 no less! You go GF:))

Ranae said...

Wow! you scored big on mail day

Jan said...

Wow, I love that picture of Christmas garden with the conversions to silk. Can you share the colors, they are beautiful.
Jan

the striped rose said...

Wow! That's some nice stitching loot! I love poinsettia house - it's one of my favorite Christmas designs!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Great mail wins and stash gifties! Aren't stitchy friends the absolute best? Lovely stitching progress - just keep at it as you can... She'll love it when it's finished.

Myra said...

You DID have an amazing mail day. Good for you. That box is just fabulous.

Chris said...

What wonderful packages and a perfect pick me up after the marathon hair appt.
Everything is so lovely Mindi. I know that you will be thinking of ayour friends as you use/and stitch these things.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Wow, what lovely things!
How will you decide what to stitch first!!
Love your poinsettia house too.

Penny said...

Wonderful gifts - wow! :)
Poinsettia House is a pretty one and I can't wait to see Christmas garden.